Last modified: November 29, 2016
The website or online service, and portions of other webpages or online content through which you have accessed this Privacy Notice (collectively, this "Website"), is owned and operated by Unigo, a division of EducationDynamics, LLC (hereafter referred to as "we," "us," "our" or "Unigo").
We want you to understand what information we gather from or about you, how we use it and the safeguards we have in place to protect it. This Privacy Notice applies to Unigo and all other Unigo websites and applications that link to this policy (the “Services”). Other privacy notices may apply to some of our offerings. For a list of the websites governed by this policy see the Privacy Notice Scope section below.
- Information That We Collect
- How We Use the Information That We Collect
- Our Sharing Practices
- User Contributions
- Automatic Information Collection Technologies and Usage Information
- Third Party Advertisers and Interest-Based Ads
- Third-Party Content
- Special Notice to California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights
- Your Choices About Use and Disclosure of Your Information
- Accessing and Correcting Your Information
- The Services Are Not for Children
- The Services Are Intended for Use in the United States
- Changes to This Privacy Notice
- Contacting Us
- Privacy Notice Scope
Information That We Collect
Depending which of the Services you are visiting or using, we may collect various types of information from and about you, including information that can personally identify you. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- your name
- postal address
- e-mail address
- telephone number
- mobile number
- fax number
- short message service or text message address
- other wireless device address
- instant messaging address
- credit card or other payment information
- Social Security number
- demographic information
- education and scholastic information
- information about any transaction you conduct or submit to on or through the Services
- other information that would allow online or offline contact with you as an individual (collectively, "Personal Information").
We also collect Usage Information (as defined below) and other information from and about you that does not personally identify you or allow us or others to contact you individually online or offline ("Non-Personally Identifiable Information" or "Non-PII"). We may combine Non-PII with other information in a way that allows you to be identified or personally contacted. If this happens, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information.
We may also collect information that you provide to us about other people (such as family members or co-borrowers in the case of https://www.estudentloan.com), including, but not limited to, their names, postal addresses, telephone numbers, mobile numbers, and e-mail addresses for purposes of fulfilling the purposes for which you provide such information.
We may collect information from or about you in the following ways:
- Information Provided by You. We collect information provided by you when you (1) inquire about or obtain our services or products; (2) communicate with us or request information about or from us, whether via e-mail or other means; (3) fill out forms or fields on the Services; (4) register as a user or sign-up for any of our newsletters, materials or services through the Services; (5) enter into online transactions; (6) create profiles; (7) provide college reviews or participate in our online surveys or questionnaires; (8) input information into our interactive programming features or participate in our online forums; (9) participate in any of our marketing initiatives, including contests, scholarship offers, events, or promotions; and (10) post to the Services or provide user-generated content or submissions to us, including without limitation media files, photos, videos, documents or other information, and contributions to a chat room, list serve, blog, or other open forum or community feature that we make available on the Services ("User Contributions").
- Information from Other Sources. We may collect information about you from other services that we may provide, our affiliates, third party or public sources (such as from public forums, social networks, and blogs), other users of the Services , and our business partners.
- Automatic Information Collection. We and our service providers use automatic data collection technologies to collect and store Usage Information (as defined below). We also may allow third party advertising companies and ad networks to use automatic data collection technologies to collect Usage Information for purposes of providing interest based ads. See the Automatic Information Collection Technologies and Usage Information and the Third Party Advertisers and Interest-Based Ads sections for more information.
- Provide products and services requested by you;
- Provide customer support, including responding to your requests and questions and troubleshooting and resolving problems or complaints;
- Verify the information you provide to us;
- Communicate with you;
- Confirm your identity and eligibility to use the Services;
- Establish and manage your account;
- Perform research and analysis to develop and improve the Services and other products and services that we may offer;
- Understand and anticipate your use of or interest in, our products, services, and content, and the products, services, and content offered by others;
- Develop and display products, services, and content tailored to your interests on the Services and other online properties;
- Measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, and programming, and other activities;
- Offer you personalized information and products, services, promotions, contests, or scholarships of ours, our affiliates, or our third party business partners that may be of interest to you;
- Manage our business and operations;
- Protect the security and integrity of the Services;
- Fulfill any other purposes for which you provide your information and for any other purpose as described to you at the time your information is collected or for which your consent is given.
- With any Unigo Businesses or our affiliated companies (i.e., companies that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with us) for support of our internal and business operations, for cross-marketing purposes, or in connection with a request made by you or your opt-in or consent. However, unless you are otherwise first given notice, the evaluation of any request or application by you for any of our products or services offered through our websites will be based on the information you specifically submit to obtain such product or service and not any other information you may submit to us for other purposes or for other products or services we may offer (except for your sign-in, basic account registration information, and any other information that we may pre-populate on your request or application form for your convenience). Refer to the Unigo Businesses section below to see a list of all Unigo Businesses.
- With our non-affiliated third party business partners, service providers, and vendors to enable them to assist us in providing you the products or services you request through the Services or to provide us with support for our internal and business operations, such as data processing, data storage, research, analytics, web hosting, marketing, and delivery of promotional or transactional materials.
- With other non-affiliated companies, parties, or organizations when you engage in certain activities through the Services or services that are sponsored or provided by them, including, but not limited to
- requesting or purchasing products or services offered by these third parties
- electing to receive information or communications from them, or
- electing to participate in contests, sweepstakes, games, scholarships, or other programs sponsored or provided by these third parties, in whole or in part.
When we disclose your information to these third parties, your information will become subject to the information use and sharing practices of these third parties, and these third parties will not be restricted by this Privacy Notice with respect to their use and further sharing of your information.
- With non-affiliated third parties that are interested in contacting you or providing offers to you that may be related to our products or services or about other products or services you may find interesting. To opt-out of our sharing of your information with such third parties, see the Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information section.
- With other parties at your direction or request. For example, through http://www.unigo.com, we share your name and contact information with schools, to which you request us to introduce you, and through any refer-a-friend or email-a-friend function offered on the Services, we may share your name and e-mail address with any person to whom you request that we share such information.
- With any person who, in our reasonable judgment, is authorized to receive your information, such as your agent, attorney, parent, legal guardian, or co-signor of a loan application.
- We may disclose information we collect from or about you when we believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law, to enforce or apply applicable terms and conditions and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our company, our affiliates, our other customers or users of the Services, or others.
- If some or all of our business assets are sold or transferred, whether through a sale, acquisition, merger, consolidation, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other corporate change involving us and/or our affiliates, we may transfer the corresponding information regarding our customers and users of the Services, including Personal Information, to third parties evaluating or facilitating the transaction. We also may retain a copy of such information. Nothing in this Privacy Notice is intended to interfere with our ability to transfer all or part of our business, equity interests, or assets (including the Services) to an affiliate or non-affiliated third party at any time, for any purpose, without any limitation, and without notice or any compensation to you, whatsoever.
We may disclose and share anonymized or aggregated information about you (information that does not directly and personally identify you) or any other of your Non-PII at our discretion.
We may also share information with third parties subject to your consent.
Automatic Information Collection Technologies and Usage Information
We and our service providers automatically collect "Usage Information" from or about you, such as information about your computer or mobile device, IP address, web browser, computer or device platform, related software and settings you are using, browsing actions and patterns, the referring page that linked you to us and the website you visit after using the Services, and other usage activity on the Services. Collection of Usage Information helps us to improve the Services and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to, among other things: (1) estimate our audience size and usage patterns; (2) store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Services according to your individual interests; (3) speed up your searches; and (4) recognize you when you return to the Services.
We and certain third parties, such as advertising service providers, may use certain technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across different services.
The automatic collection technologies we and our service providers may use for this automatic information collection include:
- Cookies (or browser cookies). A cookie is a small data file that is sent to your browser or related software and stored on your computer's hard drive when you visit a website. Generally, cookies can track what you look at and where you travel on websites and what transactions you make. They can also store Personal Information about you, including your username and password. A "session cookie" expires immediately when you end your browsing session with the particular website. A "persistent cookie" stores information on your hard drive so when you end your browsing session and return to the same website later, the cookie information is still available. The Services may use both types of cookies.
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of the Services may use locally stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on the Services.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Services and any e-mails we send to you may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened our e-mails and for other related website analytics (e.g., recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
For more information about managing your privacy settings regarding automatic collection of Usage Information, see the Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information section.
Third Party Advertisers and Interest-Based Ads
With the exception of certain of our webpages, services or features that may collect sensitive Personal Information such as financial information, we may permit third party advertising companies or ad networks to display third party advertisements on our websites and/or automatically collect Usage Information from our websites for purposes of determining your preferences and delivering interest-based advertising and content to you on the Services or other online properties, including those operated by third parties. Those ads may include ads for our products or services or for other companies' products or services.
These third party advertisers may combine the Usage Information with Personal Information you directly submit to them or that they receive from other sources, or the Usage Information they collect may include information that could allow someone to specifically contact you online without necessarily knowing your identity. We do not have access to or control over the automatic collection technologies that these third party advertisers may use, and the information practices of these third party advertisers are subject to these parties' respective privacy policies, not this Privacy Notice.
You may want to receive interest-based ads for several reasons. Interest-based ads are helpful because they are more likely to be tailored to your particular interests. They are also more likely to help you discover new products and services that are actually relevant to you and your interests. Also if interest-based tracking is enabled, you likely will not see the same ads over and over because the number of times you see a particular interest-based ad is usually limited. By opting-out of interest-based ads, you lose all of these benefits. If you would like more information about opting-out of interest-based ads or would like to opt-out, see the Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information section or visit the opt-out pages of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") and Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). We follow the DAA's Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising.
The Services and all electronic communications sent in connection with the Services, may contain links, videos, images, or other content provided by third parties. We do not necessarily endorse these websites, products, services, or practices. We do not control, and are not responsible for, the privacy and security practices of these third parties. We recommend that you review the privacy and security policies of these third parties to determine how they handle information they may collect from or about you.
The Services may also allow you to engage with social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, Google Plus, and Twitter widgets, when you are logged into those servicees. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you are visiting on the Services, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Your interactions with these features and the information from or about you collected by them are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
Special Notice to California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident and have provided your personally identifiable Personal Information to us, you may request a notice disclosing the categories of Personal Information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. To request a notice, your request must be submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "California Privacy Information Request" in the subject line, or by mail addressed to: Group, Attn: Customer Support - California Privacy Information Request, 220 NW Eighth Avenue, Portland, OR 97209.
Your request must include the e-mail address or mailing address, as applicable, for us to send our response. These requests may be made no more than once per calendar year.
Your Choices About Use and Disclosure of Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over your information:
- Promotional E-mails. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, including our e-newsletters, contact us at email@example.com to opt-out or follow the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the promotional e-mail. Note that even if you opt-out, you may still receive transactional e-mails from us (e.g., e-mails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, password reset requests, reminder e-mails that you have requested, and any other similar communications essential to your transactions on or made through the Services).
- Telephone Calls. If you do not wish to receive promotional telephone calls, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to opt-out. This opt-out does not apply to any informational telephone calls.
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information with non-affiliated third parties for promotional purposes, contact us at email@example.com to opt-out. Any opt-out request will only apply from the date of your request, and we will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from third parties who received your Personal Information prior to your request. In these cases, please contact the third parties directly.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
The appropriate method(s) for accessing your information, if any, will depend on which of our websites and services you have visited or used. Depending on the website and service, you may have the ability to view or edit some of your information online, by logging into the Services and visiting your account profile page. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us; however, we may ask you to verify your identity and provide other details to help us to respond to your request.
Also, if you delete or request the deletion of your User Contributions from the Services, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied, stored, or reposted to another website by other users of the Services.
We strive to use reasonable security measures to protect your information collected through the Services. However, no method of transmission or electronic storage is 100% effective, and we cannot guarantee absolute security. Therefore, your use of the Services is at your own risk and we do not promise or guarantee, and you should not expect, that your information will always and absolutely remain private and secure. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on or concerning the Services. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, if we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use another method to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at email@example.com with the alternative contact information you wish to be used.
In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child younger than 13 years old, we will delete that information and terminate the child's account (if any). If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information without verification of parental consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Services Are Intended for Use in the United States
The Services are operated in the United States and are not intended for international users. This Privacy Notice is intended to cover the collection of information on the Services from residents of the United States. If you are accessing the Services from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States and other countries and territories. The information protection laws of the United States and the other countries and territories might not be as comprehensive or protective as those in your country. By using the Services and our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Privacy Notice. We make no claim that the Services may be lawfully viewed or used outside of the United States.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may update or amend this Privacy Notice at any time. This Privacy Notice will reflect the date it was last updated or amended. If we make any material amendments, we will notify you by posting a notice of the updated or amended Privacy Notice on the Services. All amendments will take effect immediately upon our posting of the updated Privacy Notice on the Services. Under certain circumstances, we may also elect to notify you of changes or updates to our Privacy Notice by additional means, such as posting a notice on the homepage of the Services or sending you an e-mail. Please check this Privacy Notice each time you use the Services to ensure you are aware of any changes in our practices. Your continued use of the Services will indicate your acceptance of the changes to the Privacy Notice.
- Via postal mail: Group, Attn: Customer Support, 220 NW Eighth Avenue, Portland, OR 97209
- Via e-mail:Contact Us
Privacy Notice Scope
This Privacy Notice applies to the collection of information in association with any of the Unigo websites and online services that link to this Privacy Notice. Some of our services or offerings may be governed by alternative or additional privacy policies. For example:
- Unigo Return on Education™ (MyROE™) service offered through www.unigo.com. See Unigo Return on Education™ Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to our products, services, and offerings for which a separate privacy notice or privacy terms apply. Those products, services, and offerings may include contests, contest entries, contest awards, scholarship applications, and scholarship awards. See the official rules, terms and privacy notice (if applicable) that apply to the specific product or service being offered.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to:
Other Unigo websites or online services (if any) that do not link to this Privacy Notice;
Third party websites or features to which this Website may link; and
Information collected by any non-affiliated third party, even if related to this Website or our services or products.